April 16, 2017 - Sunday Morning Adult Class
- Series-- Matthew's Gospel: Christ the King
- Lesson 16: Sermon on the Mount--Beatitudes (Part 1, Matt. 5)
- Slides - PDF opens in a new tab
- Video - Opens in new tab on our YouTube channel
- Audio (press the play button to begin)- This will take several seconds to load. Thanks for patience!
Summary: Curtis provided a review of the background to the sermon on the mount. The Beatitudes serve as an intro to the sermon on the mount. The term “blessed” refers to a long and deep relationship with God in every part of our lives. The idea of blessed life began in the Old Testament and came to glorious life in Jesus. As He began to teach, He demonstrated his authority in 3 ways. The Beatitudes contain the essence of Christian life. Curtis also goes over some of the historical ways they have been interpreted. One class member commented that his study indicated that a better way to word the beatitudes in English to capture the meaning is “Blessed because . . .”