October 29, 2017 - Sunday Morning Adult Class
- Series-- Matthew's Gospel: Christ the King
- Lesson: Jesus and John the Batpist (Mt. 11:1-19)
- Slides - PDF opens in a new tab
- Video - opens in a new tab on our YouTube channel
- Audio (press the play button to begin)- This will take several seconds to load. Thanks for patience!
SUMMARY - We learn that John heard about the teachings and deeds that Jesus did. Many people who watched Jesus found that he didn’t match their expectations, and they stumbled. Curtis spends some time exploring the meaning of the challenging verse 11 of the text (Mt. 11:1-19). Jesus spoke about his cousin John, asking John’s detractors what they expected to see when they went to hear John’s message. Jesus noted that John was both great and least among them, which refers to John’s impending death—he wouldn’t get to become part of the new kingdom. Jesus refers to the violence that falls to the new church/kingdom as men try to force their expectations on God’s church.