March 19, 2017 - Sunday Morning Adult Class
- Series-- Matthew's Gospel: Christ the King
- Lesson 12: John the Baptist Prepares the Way (Matthew 3), part 2
- Slides - PDF opens in a new tab
- Video - Opens in new tab on our YouTube channel
- Audio (press the play button to begin)- This will take several seconds to load. Thanks for patience!
Isaiah 40-66 are the chapters known as “Message of Comfort” which foretells the good news of a savior. John’s mission was the final preparation for this savior & messiah to arrive. Matthew 3 gives us some background on John’s life, dwelling in the wilderness and living off the land. John’s work was urgent, and he dove right in working with the community that came to hear his message. His uniqueness drew crowds from the surrounding towns. The preparation includes Jesus’ baptism by John. John was very uncomfortable with the idea of his baptizing Jesus who was not a sinful person. Jesus had to give him information that explained the full intent of this action. Next week’s Bible class will continue with more information and discussion about the baptism and God’s declaration of Jesus’ role as His Son.