July 23, 2017 - Sunday Morning Adult Class
- Series-- Matthew's Gospel: Christ the King
- Lesson: Sermon on the Mount - Do Not Worry (Mt. 6:25-34)
- Slides - PDF opens in a new tab
- Video - Opens in new tab on our YouTube channel
- Audio (press the play button to begin)- This will take several seconds to load. Thanks for patience!
Summary: Curtis opens the lesson with reading the text verses and notes the use of the word “therefore.” All of the circumstances listed by Jesus in this part of the sermon lead to the assurances and Jesus’ command that we do not worry. Anxiety has a negative impact on us, like cutting us into pieces. This command has a context: we aren’t supposed to obsess over the basic needs of life since God will provide these. This includes the categories of eating, drinking, and clothing. Jesus provides examples from nature where God takes care of animals and plants, inviting us to compare our value to that of grass or birds. Therefore we need to trust God to care for us.